The lawsuit, filed in July 2008 in Philadelphia, alleged that a plastic canopy was placed over a basement exhaust vent and trapped the carbon monoxide emitted from hot water heaters. The poisonous air was pulled into the rooms by air handling units. In addition to Philip Prechtel’s death, several people, including Katherine Prechtel, were hospitalized.
(From a MCall.com article) The family of a South Carolina man who died after inhaling carbon monoxide at an Upper Macungie Township hotel in January 2008 has settled a federal lawsuit against the hotel and several contractors.
Philip D. Prechtel, 63, died after a makeshift canopy placed on the side of the Best Western Allentown Inn & Suites during a remodeling project captured carbon monoxide gas that was drawn into several rooms, including the one Prechtel slept in with his wife, Katherine.
The terms of the settlement, reached last week, were not disclosed, according to court documents.
On behalf of the Prechtels, attorney James Huber of Allentown was seeking at least $350,000 for the loss of Philip Prechtel’s household services, Social Security benefits and health insurance. Huber was also seeking damages for the physical and emotional pain and loss suffered by Katherine Prechtel.