Hospitality Industry Property Risks: Maryland Hotel Suffers $50,000 In Water Damage As Guest Is “Tricked Into Breaking Off Fire Sprinkler”

“…Fire officials said a female guest was contacted by someone at the  website pranku.net and told that a gas leak had occurred in the hotel.  The  guest was then tricked into breaking off the sprinkler head in her room with a  toilet bowl cover, which then caused water to flow into eight rooms and the  floor below…”

The state fire marshal’s office is investigating an incident at a hotel in  Aberdeen in which a guest was pranked into breaking the sprinkler system with a  toilet bowl lid, which subsequently caused several rooms to flood.

Firefighters were called to the second floor of the Holiday Inn Express  in the 1000 block of Beards Hill Road about 1:30 a.m. Friday.

Officials said there was about $50,000 worth of damage to the hotel. No  charges have been filed at this point.
Read more: http://www.wbaltv.com/news/30746462/detail.html#ixzz1pxPycGH5

Leave a comment

Filed under Guest Issues, Insurance, Liability, Maintenance, Management And Ownership

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s