“…a hail stone struck an electric sign on the front of the (hotel). The innkeeper put it out, and then extinguished a flare up in the attic, Lewis said. Believing it was over, the innkeeper did not call 911…a passer-by spotted flames in the hotel’s roof and called 911, Lewis said. When Edmond fire crews arrived, they found a fully involved fire in the attic…”
A hail stone falling from storms that passed over the city Tuesday evening ignited a fire that burned much of an Edmond hotel, a fire official said.
By about 2:20 a.m. all guests in the front of the hotel had been evacuated, Lewis said. While a total number of guests at the time was not available, an Edmond Fire Department investigator estimated the hotel was about 80 percent full, Lewis said. There were no injuries to firefighters or hotel guests, Lewis said.
The hotel and real estate are valued at $1.17 million by the county assessor, Lewis said. The structure, built in 1983, appeared to be a total loss, he said.