All hotel guests were not required to evacuate, but the incident did cause a headache for some of the 3,000 guests staying there, especially due to the power outage. Some guests on upper floors chose to exit the building and had to walk down several flights of stairs.
On Wednesday afternoon, guests at the New York Hilton Hotel got an unexpected jolt as a transformer exploded in the electrical room. The explosion in the Midtown Manhattan hotel caused electricity to go out and injured two people.
Firefighters arrived at the scene around 1p.m. to find smoky conditions, injured workers, and people trapped in elevators. Several took to the basement to put out the basement electrical fire.
Two workers were injured as they got caught in the blast while tending to an electrical panel in the basement. One man suffered from a head injury and was treated at the scene. The other was taken to NY Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center and treated for minor burns on his hands, the New York Daily News reported.