Lightning from a thunderstorm that rolled over the state this past weekend may have ignited a blaze that destroyed a Bainbridge Island bar. Fire Marshal Luke Carpenter said the department has no hard evidence the early morning lightning storm sparked the fire, but the timing seems to match.
The Kitsap Sun reported the 122 Bar & Restaurant in Winslow closed at about 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, according to the bar’s owners. The lightning storm surged over Bainbridge at around 2:30 a.m. on Monday. Much of the 122 Bar & Restaurant in Winslow was in flames by the time firefighters were alerted around 4:45 a.m. Nearby residents reported smelling smoke hours before large flames were spotted on the building’s roof.