“…the restaurant had used the lye-like cleaning agent to disinfect the Budweiser keg that morning but had failed to properly rinse the container before refilling it with the beer (the plaintiff) would later drink…he is seeking between $50,000 and $100,000 from Red Lobster and the company that cleaned the Dallas location’s beer tap system to cover medical expenses and compensate for his physical pain…”
Though it’s an isolated incident, a man from Panama City, Fla., claims he was on the receiving end of Red Lobster’s worst nightmare when he was scorched with potassium hydroxide — lye — from a Budweiser he drank during a business lunch in Dallas earlier this month. According to The Dallas Observer, Justin Grogg took a sip of his beer and immediately felt his throat, esophagus and stomach starting to burn.
According to Grogg’s lawsuit, he got the attention of the restaurant’s manager, who told him to “drink water and go to the hospital.” The complaint alleges the manager knew that the beer tap system had been cleaned that morning with potassium hydroxide, which is caustic and can cause severe bodily harm if swallowed.
Doctors treated Grogg quickly, but he still experienced “severe pain” and was told he could develop “esophageal strictures, esophageal reflux changes, and/or pharyngeal infection in the future as a result of the ingestion of the potassium hydroxide.”