“…investigators have deemed the fire “accidental” in nature. The room where the fire began was vacant. The previous tenant left a hot plate on…”
Edward Lawrence, reporting for CBS2 and KCAL9, said three people had to be rescued from the third floor by Los Angeles County Firefighters. The three people were reportedly overcome by smoke and had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
A total of 50 people have been displaced. After putting out the stubbon blaze, firefighters spent hours looking for potential hotspots.
Window rescues were necessary because the hotel guests made the mistake of opening their front doors. “You can see they left their doors open. And the rooms have a moderate amount of smoke damage. Smoke was rolling over their heads and they were waving white flags and white pieces of clothing.”