“…the problem likely had to do with a heating unit that malfunctioned in addition to some faulty ductwork. The issues impacted the fifth and sixth floors of the hotel…in addition to the 11 total guests exhibiting symptoms on Friday morning, a family of four also were said to have been experiencing flu-like symptoms. The family was urged to seek medical treatment and did so before returning to their home in Florida…”
Fifteen guests at the Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa in Hoover were taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning on Friday. According to Hoover Fire Department Lieutenant Rusty Lowe, firefighters received a call at approximately 6:30 a.m. on Friday morning about an unresponsive guest at the hotel.
Upon arrival, fire officials discovered ten additional guests who were exhibiting symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The guests’ symptoms ranged from headaches and nausea to mental problems.
All of the impacted guests were transferred to a nearby hospital for treatment.